Content that goes viral is the Holy Grail of marketing. But what makes content go viral? Here are 7 qualities that viral content should have.
Content that goes viral is the Holy Grail of marketers and virality is created by a number of factors that work together to appeal to a large portion of humanity.
Remember the video of the guy who stood at a busy intersection offering everyone free hugs? The Free Hugs campaign was started by Juan Mann on December 1, 2004, when he began giving out hugs in the Pitt Street Mall in central Sydney.
That little video not only notched up millions of YouTube views but also started a movement, known as the Free Hugs Campaign.
What exactly makes a simple, amateurish video like that go viral? And what are the qualities that define viral content – the holy grail for marketers who want to promote a brand or product on social media?
Although there are no guarantees for making your content go viral, I believe that, like the Free Hugs video, virality is created by a number of factors that work together to appeal to a large portion of humanity.
- 7 Qualities Of Incredibly Viral Content
- Content writing tips & tools
7 Qualities Of Incredibly Viral Content
Virality is created by a number of factors that work together to appeal to a large portion of humanity. Here are 7 qualities that viral content should have.
1. Has global appeal
Like the concept of free hugs, a viral creative must appeal to a large portion of humanity. It must transcend boundaries of race, creed, gender, income, and religion to appeal to humans at a very basic level.
2. Triggers a primal human emotion
Content goes viral because it triggers a very primal emotion in human beings. Love, compassion, laughter – these are all emotions that touch a primitive chord in us, making us want to share the content with other humans.
Fear also triggers a primal response, but I believe people are less likely to share a message that triggers negative emotions than one that triggers positive feelings.
3. Is humorous/moving/entertaining/fun
Viral content has a number of emotional triggers that make people want to share it with others. Content that elicits laughter, or moves you to tears of joy, or is inspiring, or is just plain fun and entertaining is content that gets shared.
Fun and entertainment, in particular, get a large number of shares and eyeballs. Just check out how many views those videos of cute cats doing silly things get online.
4. Makes us believe in the goodness of human nature
We all want to believe that people are good at heart. That is why content that demonstrates a person’s compassion, heroism or attempts to create peace between warring factions gets a whole lot of love.
We all want to look good in front of our friends and fans. Ever read one of those little Zen quotes or stories that seem to get so many shares?
People love to share them, not only because it makes them think, but also because it makes the sharer come across as wise and profound to his/her audience.
6. Tells a story
Stories have been used for thousands of years to promote ideas and concepts. They have a very basic appeal and are engaging enough to make people want to read them in totality and share them with others.
7. Plays on popular memes
If you’ve ever seen or created an image based on the “Grumpy Cat” meme (the cat who hates everything and everyone), you know what I mean.
Content that’s based on popular memes gets shared very quickly and widely because people immediately relate it to something else they have seen online. Just make sure your brand message has some relevance to the meme you use, or it will backfire.
Content writing tips & tools
- How to learn blogging guide and blogging tutorial
- Website content writers, learn these 7 tips for writing for the web
- Best freelance writing classes: Learn freelance writing for beginners
- How to start your own web content writing business
- 12 types of writing skills and how to learn them
- 12 fast writing tips: Learn how to write fast & write well
- 10 techniques of writing headlines that get clicks
- 10 reasons to build a writer platform with a blog
- 7 tips for overcoming and dealing with writer’s block
- 10 tips to find the best blog topic to blog about
- Free creative writing classes & Masterclass creative writing courses
- How to learn creative writing skills and be a better writer
- Best online writing tools & online writing software
- Get SEO certification free & an SEO writing course
- 4 reasons to outsource blog writing for your business
- How to outsource blog writing services and other blogging services
- How to write blog content that gives you the results you want
- 9 proven tactics to increase content engagement on your blog